The best thing about side hustles is most of the time they are things we already do in our daily lives, like driving. There are many driving apps to make money with your car, and it’s the best thing to do.
You can become a delivery driver, advertise on your car, or rent your car. The possibilities are endless when you have a vehicle and some free time.
What are the different apps to make money driving ?
As mentioned above, there are many apps that pay you drive like DoorDash, Instacart, Uber, Amazon Flex and more. You don’t need a car for some jobs; you can do your job with a scooter, bicycle, or even walk.
You can deliver stuff, advertise on your car, rent your vehicle, deliver food, or rideshare. It depends on whether you are looking for a flexible gig or just passive income.
Top driving apps to make money
DoorDash – Earn up to $15 per hour plus commissions and work when you want.
HopSkipDrive – Make money in your free time as a CareDriver and earn up to $50 per ride.
Survey Junkie – Best for extra money and product testing gigs when you have free time.
Instacart – Deliver groceries and work flexibly. You can be an In-store shopper or full service shopper.
13 Best Driving Apps to Make Money:
Uber is a rideshare company that gives you a chance to earn money on the side. You can sign up and gain access to the Uber app to connect with riders and earn money. Being one of the largest companies in the rideshare market, Uber is available in 10,000 cities across 69 countries. The best part is you work whenever you want.
- Be of the minimum age to drive in your state
- Have a valid US driver’s license
- Have at least 1 year of driving experience in the US (and 3 years if you’re under 24)
- Be able to use an eligible 4-door vehicle (check vehicle requirements here)
Your earnings depend on the city you live in and the number of hours you drive. Promotions like Quest and Boost may increase your earnings.
- Flexible schedule.
- More earning during Surge timings.
- High competition.
- You pay for the gas and maintenance.
DoorDash is another food delivery company that offers a lot of flexibility and good pay. It’s available in many cities in the US, and the sign-up process is very simple. With DoorDash, you don’t need to have a car; you can deliver via bicycle or even walk. You can learn more about Doordash in this detailed review.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Have a smartphone to receive alerts for deliveries
You can earn anywhere from $8 to $15 per hour, depending on the city you are in.
- DoorDash gives you the flexibility to accept the offers you like.
As a Dasher, you have more ways to earn like Peak Pay and Challenges.
- You can deliver by bicycle or even walk to deliver stuff in some areas.
- DoorDash offers a huge referral bonus when you refer your friends.
- Maintain a Dasher rating of 4.2 or your account is deactivated.
- Schedule your hours ahead of delivering.
As a courier for Postmates, you will be delivering food, groceries, and drinks. This company is one of the top choices for people who are interested in food delivery jobs. If you are interested in becoming a Postmates driver, then all you have to do is sign up online with the Fleet app. Once the background check is done, you are ready to go.
The requirements to become a Postmates driver are as follows,
- Be 18 years or older
- Have access to an insured vehicle or a bicycle
- Pass a background check
According to the Postmates website, you can earn up to $25 per hour delivering for this company.
- You can work when you want.
- There is no rating system.
- Not available in some areas.
- low tips.
If you are someone who loves communicating with people, then driving for Lyft is a great option. You can become a driver-partner with this company and start a ridesharing gig.
Applying to become a driver with Lyft is pretty simple. You must
- Be at least 21 years of age (in some areas it’s 25)
- Have a valid driver’s license that is at least one year old
- Have a car with four external door handles and at least five seat belts
- Own an iPhone or Android phone
You can earn up to $16 per hour as a Lyft driver-partner. This depends on the time of day and the city you work in.
- Weekly pay.
- You can keep all the tips.
- You can choose your hours.
- High age requirement.
If you are not keen on driving but want to earn some passive income from your car, then Getaround is a great option. You can earn money from your car by renting it out via Getaround. This is a great passive gig for people who don’t use their car much and want some extra money. With the Getaround app, you can rent your car, and the renters can even unlock the car via the app. To top it all, your car is insured for up to $1M with Getaround’s insurance policy.
To list your car on Getaround, there are certain requirements your car must meet including the following:
- Be 2010 or newer
- Have less than 125,000 miles on the clock
- Seat no more than eight passengers and be a private passenger vehicle with at least four wheels
You can earn up to $10 per hour, but this depends on the car’s year, make, model, and the market. Keep in mind that Getaround takes a 40% commission from your pay.
- Signing up is easy and can be done on the app.
- Getaround provides insurance policy up to $1M.
- There is a one time registration fee of $100.
Getting paid to drive is easy with Roadie. As a Roadie driver, you can deliver anything and get paid for it. You can choose your own schedule and accept the jobs you want on the app. Signing up is easy online or through the app. It’s one of the most flexible driving apps to make money on the side.
Driver requirements for Roadie include the following:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have valid driver’s license
- Have a four-star rating in the Roadie community
The pay is between $10 and $40 per trip depending on the gigs and the distance traveled.
- Get paid weekly.
- Do multiple gigs at a time.
- Not very popular.
- App has some issues.
If you don’t mind having some ads displayed on your car, then you are looking at a good extra income source. Carvertise is a company that pays drivers to have rolling ads on their cars while they drive around in the city. It’s as simple as that. Though there are a good number of scams out there, Carvertise is one of the legit companies that lets you rent your car for displaying ads.
You can fill out the online application, and once your profile is matched with a brand campaign, you can get your car wrapped and start driving.
To become a Carvertise driver you must
- Drive at least 30 miles/day
- Have a clean driving record
- Own a 2008 model car or newer
- Factory finish paint job
Carvertise pays by the campaign, and you can expect up to $100 per month with this company.
- Free to join.
- You can choose the campaigns.
- Only available in selected cities in the US.
HopSkipDrive is a platform where you drive kids to school, activities, etc. It’s a great way to earn money driving if you are looking for part-time gigs or have kids with you. Though this side gig is only available in some cities in the US, it’s very flexible.
The requirements to become a CareDriver are,
- Have five or more years of caregiving experience, including two years with children.
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Have a good driving record
- Have three or more years of driving experience
- Own or lease a vehicle not more than 10 years old
- Show proof of vehicle registration
- Show proof of vehicle insurance consistent with state law
- Be at least 23 years old
- Be able to pass a multi-agency background check, including fingerprinting
According to the website, you can earn around $40 per hour depending on the number of hours you drive.
- Great pay and flexibility.
- Only available in some areas in the US.
- Strict requirements.
With Instacart you can use your car to deliver groceries as a full-service shopper, or you can choose to become an in-store shopper and just bag the products. You can sign up online, and once the background check is done, you can start the job. This is a very flexible gig where you can choose your own hours.
The requirements to become a full-service shopper are that you must
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be eligible to work in the US or Canada
- Own a smartphone with Android 5.0 or later or iOS 9 or later
- Have a functioning, registered vehicle
- Have vehicle insurance
- Be able to lift 30+ pounds
The average pay is between $14 and $15 an hour and depends on the location you work in, the hours, and the type of orders you take.
Read our in-depth Instacart review to learn more about this company.
- With Instacart you have the choice of working as a full-service shopper (shopping and delivering) or an in-store shopper (shopping and bagging the groceries).
- You can choose your own hours.
- As a grocery shopper, you will be lifting heavy stuff.
You can work as a delivery driver for Amazon Flex and earn extra money on the side. This side job has all the perks like flexibility and good pay. Once you sign up online, download the app, fill in the details, and get a background check, you can start choosing your hours.
The requirements to become an Amazon Flex driver include the following:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Own a smartphone
- Have a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Have a qualifying vehicle
According to the website, you can earn between $18 and $25 per hour.
- Easy to sign up.
- You can choose to blocks ahead of time.
- Good pay.
- Not available in all areas.
- You have pay for your gas, maintenance and parking.
- Choosing time blocks is competitive.
Grubhub hires anyone with a car, scooter, or bicycle. Grubhub was mentioned as one of the leading food delivery companies in the US. It partners with more than 75,000 restaurants and delivers in 1,300 US cities.
Around $12 per hour. Grubhub delivers in selected cities in the US, and you can find the list on its website. The pay does differ depending on which city you work in, peak times like lunch and dinner times, and the number of deliveries. Tips are also another way to bump up your earnings with Grubhub.
- Grubhub gives the flexibility to schedule driving blocks ahead of time.
- Grubhub recognition program rewards drivers with good work with levels like Partner, Pro, and Premier. These levels give you chances to schedule your blocks, book catering orders, and referral programs ahead of other drivers.
- If you are just a beginner, you are not allowed to schedule certain blocks.
- Grubhub doesn’t offer many incentives like other delivery companies.
Wrapify is a company that lets you rent your car for ad display. Wrapify is just like Carvertise and pays well too. You can sign up online or through the app. The main difference between Carvertise and Wrapify is Wrapify pays per mile you drive.
The requirements to rent your car with Wrapify include the following:
- Be 21 years of ageold or older
- Have a smartphone
- Own a 2008 or newer model car
You can earn up between $150 and $500 per month approximately depending on the wrapping type you choose.
- Easy to sign via app.
- You can choose your campaigns.
- Payment is done twice a month.
- Gigs are not available all the time.
Like Instacart, Shipt is an on-demand grocery delivery service that lets you shop for and deliver products. Shipt works a lot like Instacart, and it is very easy to apply online. Once you pass the background check and download the app, you can start working.
Here are the Shipt shopper requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid current mailing address
- Have a valid US driver’s license and auto insurance
- Have a reliable vehicle (1997 or newer)
- Possess knowledge of produce selection
- Be able to lift 45 pounds
- Have a smartphone – iPhone (iOS 10 or newer) or Android (5.1 or newer)
The base pay for Shipt shoppers is $6 per hour plus the tips.
- The pay is better than other grocery delivery companies.
- As a Shipt shopper, you can shop for multiple orders at a time.
- You get free Shipt membership as a Shipt shopper.
- Shipt is only available in some cities in the US.
Turo is another peer-to-peer rental company that lets you rent your car for extra money. You can list your car for free by giving all the details on the website. Once the listing is live, renters can go ahead and rent your car. Turo also gives you insurance coverage of up to $750,000 to keep you stress-free.
The vehicle requirements to list your car on Turo are
- Only 2006 or newer models are accepted
- Less than 130,000 miles
- Clean title
- Registered in the United States
Though the website states that you can earn up to $1,000 per month, it depends on your location and the model of the car.
FAQ about driving apps to make money
How much money can make driving?
It depends on the company you work for, distance you drive and number of trips you make. Always factor in your expenses like gas, insurance and vehicle maintenance when calculating your pay. Many rideshare and delivery drivers bump up their earnings by signing up for more than one company. This gives them more money and flexibility.
Which is best – food delivery or ridesharing?
If you are someone who would like less social interaction, then choosing food delivery would be a good choice for you.
How can I make more money with my car?
What if I don’t have a car?
Not having a car doesn’t stop you from making money. You can choose companies like DoorDash that let you deliver food even by foot. Another easy way to earn extra money by walking is the Miles app. Just walk, run, bike or take a train, you will earn rewards which can be redeemed for gift cards.
Getting paid to drive is easy and sometimes it can be totally passive income. You do have to take care of things like having your car in good condition, being ready to drive certain distances, and having a valid license and insurance.
If you are someone who is keen on making money on the side, then consider the above driving apps to make money from your car.